Fort McPherson (2)

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort McPherson (2) (1867-1881, 1885-2011) - First established as McPherson Barracks in 1867. Named after Major General James Birdseye McPherson (Cullum 1579), U.S. Civil War Veteran, killed at the Battle for Atlanta, 22 Jul 1864. The original post was closed in 1881, a new post was built in 1885 and named for General McPherson in 1886. Officially closed 15 Sep 2011.

Fort McPherson 1892 Commanding Officer Quarters
Fort McPherson 1889 Van Horn Hall Original HQ Building
Fort McPherson Pershing Hall Bachelor Officers Quarters

Fort McPherson (2) History

Fort McPherson (2) Partial Commanders List (edit list)
Assumed Relieved Rank Name Cullum Notes
1900-07 1900-12  “Capt. Rowan, Hamilton 2640
1901-12 1902-02 ” Maj. Webster, Edmund Kirby 2524
1926-04-01 1927-01-24  —Brig.‑Gen. Leitch, Joseph Dugald 3325
Dates are formatted in yyyy-mm-dd to sort correctly.
The Cullum Number is the graduation order from the United States Military Academy by year and class rank and links to a page for the officer on the website version of the Cullum Register. Listings without a Cullum Number indicate that the person was not a graduate of the United States Military Academy.

Current Status

Officially closed 15 Sep 2011.

Location: East Point, Fulton County, Georgia.

Maps & Images

Lat: 33.712703 Long: -84.430854



Visited: 9 Jul 2010

Fort McPherson (2) Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!

Personal tools

Google AdSense