Fort Magruder (3)
Fort Magruder (3) (1861-1865) - A Confederate fort established in 1861 during the U.S. Civil War by General John B. Magruder (Cullum 601) in Williamsburg City, Virginia. Named for General Magruder. Colonel Benjamin S. Ewell designed and supervised the construction of Fort Magruder and the other fortifications along the Williamsburg defensive line. Fort Magruder was taken by Union forces on 5 May 1862 at the Battle of Williamsburg and held by the Union until the end of the War. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1865. Also known as Redoubt No. 6.
Fort Magruder (3) History
Established at the center of the Williamsburg Line along with thirteen redoubts designed to block Union troops from advancing on Richmond during the U.S. Civil War.
Fort Magruder was a large earthworks fort built in the shape of a pentagon with walls 15 feet high. A wet moat surrounded the fort. The fort was armed with eight cannons and flanked by thirteen redoubts armed with additional cannons and connected by rifle trenches.
On 5 May 1862 Union Major General George B. McClellan's troops attacked Fort Magruder during the Battle of Williamsburg. The battle continued all day with significant losses on both sides. The Union attackers failed to take the fort but the Confederate defenders withdrew from all the Williamsburg Line fortifications after night fell.
About 1/3 of the original earthworks remain along with markers in a city park in Williamsburg City, Virginia.
Visited: 13 May 2013