Fort Lewis (3)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Lewis (3) (1878-1879) - A U.S. Army post established in 1878 in Archuleta County, Colorado. Named for Lieutenant Colonel William H. Lewis (Cullum 1421), 19th U.S. Infantry, who was killed fighting hostile Cheyenne Indians at Punished Woman's Fork, Kansas, 28 Sep 1878. Abandoned in 1880.
Fort Lewis (3) History
A U.S. Army post established 15 Oct 1878 in Archuleta County, Colorado.
Abandoned 8 Oct 1879 in favor of a new site, Fort Lewis (4), on the La Plata River.
Town park, Archuleta County, Colorado
Location: City Park, Archuleta County, Colorado.
Maps & Images
Lat: 37.25906 Long: -107.01012
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 108
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 43
Fort Lewis (3) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!