Fort Lee (2)
Fort Lee (2) History
The fort was established in 1871 to protect the critical Lee's Ferry crossing of the Colorado River. Lee established the ferry and the fort to protect it at the direction of Brigham Young. The ferry continued in operation until the Navajo Bridge was built in 1928. The fort was operated in conjunction with the ferry but ceased to be a defensive structure as the threat from hostile Indians went away.
John Lee had been exiled to northern Arizona by Brigham Young in 1870 over his involvement in the 1857 Mountain Meadows Massacre, he operated the ferry from 1871 until November 1874 when he was captured by a sheriff and returned for trial, he was executed for his roll in the massacre in 1877. The ferry and the fort were operated until 1928 by a variety of owners and operators.
Part of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. The fort itself is preserved but the interior is closed to the public.
Visited: 26 Oct 2009
Fort Lee (2) Picture Gallery