Fort Kinney (1839-1845) - A stockaded trading post established in 1839 by Henry Lawrence Kinney and William Aubrey in present day Corpus Christi, Nueces County, Texas. Abandoned in 1845. Also known as Kinneys Fort.
Fort Kinney History
Built as a stockade enclosing Henry Kinney's home, store and quarters for armed men. In 1844 it was reported that the fort had several cannon and was garrisoned by at least 30 men. In 1845 General Zachary Taylor's army camped near Kinney's fort and his business thrived. Kinney enlisted in the army as a quartermaster and served under General Taylor in the Mexican War, returning to Corpus Christi in Oct 1846.
Site now occupied by telephone company building in Corpus Christi, Nueces County, Texas
Visited: 7 Dec 2011