Fort Kearny (5) (1862-1865) - A U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1862 in Northwest Washington DC. Named Fort Kearny after Major General Philip Kearny, who was killed at the Battle of Chantilly 1 Sep 1862. Abandoned in 1865 and demolished in 1866.
History of Fort Kearny
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring. Established to fill a gap between Fort Reno (1) and Fort De Russy (1). Three outer batteries supported Fort Kearny, Battery Rossell, Battery Terrill (2), and Battery Smead.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Kearny, Maj. E. A. Springsteed commanding.–Garrison, two companies Seventh New York Heavy Artillery–1 major, 7 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 289 men. Armament, three 24-pounder siege, three 32-pounder barbette, one S-inch siege howitzer, three 4-inch (rifled). Magazines, one; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, indifferent; needs improving. Drill in infantry, very indifferent; wants improving much. Discipline, indifferent. Garrison is of full strength."
Abandoned in 1865 and demolished in 1866.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1680825
Location: Forest Hills in Northwest Washington DC.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.9483333 Long: -77.0583333
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 135