Fort Johnson (1)
Fort Johnson (1) (1704-1865) - First established in 1704 on James Island, Charleston County, South Carolina. Named after General Sir Nathaniel Johnson. Abandoned in 1865.
Colonial Period (1630-1775)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Charleston.
Built 1704-1708 at Windmill Point on James Island as a three-sided palisade with three bastions surrounded by a moat.
Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
Colonel William Moultrie first raised the South Carolina flag 15 Sep 1775 at Fort Johnson.
First System (1794-1808)
In 1794 Fort Johnson was ordered repaired as a part of the First System of fortifications.
U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)
Confederate troops occupied Fort Johnson in Dec 1860 refurbishing and rearming the fort. The first shell fired over Fort Sumter came from Fort Johnson at 4:30 AM on 12 Apr 1861, starting the U.S. Civil War. On 3 Jul 1864, the Confederate defenders repulsed two Union regiments totaling about 1,000 men with only 130 men. The fort was evacuated on 17 Feb 1865 as Union General William T. Sherman approached Charleston in his famous march to the sea.
In 1970 most of the Fort Johnson property was transferred to the South Carolina Wildlife and Marine Resources Department. Only a brick magazine and two freshwater cisterns remain. No period guns or mounts in place. A stone marker commemorating the "First Shot" of the U.S. Civil War is located to the side of the magazine. A clear view of Fort Sumter can be seen from the Magazine location.
Visited: 15 Mar 2012