Fort Hayes (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Hayes (2) (1861-2009) - A U.S. Army Arsenal established as Columbus Arsenal (2) in 1861 during the U.S. Civil War in Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio. Renamed Columbus Barracks in 1875. Renamed Fort Hayes after President Rutherford B. Hayes in 1922. Deactivated in the 1960s. Last military tenant left in 2009.
Fort Hayes (2) History
Deactivated in the 1960s. Last military tenant left in 2009.
Four original buildings and the shot tower remain on Fort Hayes Metropolitan Education Center (MEC), a 50 acre public magnet high school on a portion of the old post in Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio.
Location: Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio.
Maps & Images
Lat: 39.973889 Long: -82.988333
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 642
Fort Hayes (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!