Fort Hayes (1)
Fort Hayes (1) (1855-1856) - A settler structure converted to military use during the Rogue River Indian War of 1855-1856 in Josephine County, Oregon. Also known as Camp Hayes and Fort Hay. Abandoned as a military post after the end of the war.
Rogue River Indian War (1855-1856)
A converted settler post built in the Illinois River Valley near Hayes Hill during the Rogue River Indian War. The fort saw action on 24 and 25 March 1856 when Company E of the Northern Battalion arrived at the fort and found it surrounded by hostile Indians. A battle ensued and the hostile Indians were driven off. The fort became the headquarters for six Oregon Volunteer companies.
The post was abandoned as a military post after the war and became a stage stop and later a residence. Came to be known as Anderson Station. The structure was destroyed by fire on 19 Jan 1951.
Marker only in Josephine County, Oregon. Topo maps show Anderson Station just across US Hwy 199 from the location of the marker.
Visited: 10 Nov 2012