Fort Haldimand (1778-1812) - A British Revolutionary War fort initially established as Fort Carleton in 1778 under the supervision of Captain Thomas Aubrey on Carleton Island in Jefferson County, New York. Initially named for Sir Guy Carleton, Governor of Canada and Commander of British forces in Canada. Renamed Fort Haldimand for Sir Frederick Haldimand, Carleton's replacement. Construction was halted in 1783 and the post was abandoned in 1812.
Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
Established during the Revolutionary War as the main British supply base at the head of Lake Ontario. It was built as a large stone and earthwork fort with some 30 guns. It remained unfinished at the end of the war and construction was halted.
War of 1812 (1812-1814)
American forces took the island in June 1812 and destroyed the fort. It was not rebuilt. The island itself was still claimed by the British after the end of the war but was finally annexed by the United States in 1817.
In ruins on Carleton Island in Jefferson County, New York. Owned by the Thousand Islands Land Trust.