An earthworks fort established in 1814 during the War of 1812 and the Creek Indian War by General David Blackshear. The fort was stockaded in December 1817 by a large detachment under Major Thomas Woodward. The post became an important supply depot and troop staging area.
General Andrew Jackson used Fort Early as a jumping off point for his expedition against the Seminole and Creek Indians in 1818. General Jackson arrived on 26 Feb 1918 with 900 Georgians, two companies of Tennessee troops and a large detachment of Indians. From Fort Early, General Jackson moved on to Fort Scott (3) in southern Georgia and then into Florida to begin his campaign. Fort Early was apparently abandoned after the summer of 1818.
Marker only on a site owned by the Fort Early chapter of the DAR.
Visited: 2 Feb 2018