|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Duchesne (1886-1912) - First established in 1886 by Major Frederick W. Benteen, at the direction of General George Crook, with two troops of the 9th U.S. Cavalry and four companies of infantry. Named in September 1887. Abandoned in 1912.
Fort Duchesne History
Established to contain an outbreak of hostilities amongst the Ute Indians.
The post was six square miles with buildings of adobe brick that included officers quarters, enlisted quarters, a commissary, a storehouse, and a hospital. Originally garrisoned with two troops of cavalry and four companies of infantry.
The need for the post diminished and in 1893 the four infantry companies were removed to Fort Douglas in Salt Lake City. On 13 Sep 1912 the last troop of Cavalry, Troop M, 1st U.S. Cavalry, left for Fort Boise (1), Idaho and the post was given over to the Indian Service.
|1898-05||1898-10||Maj.||Godfrey, Edward S.||2208|
|1899-11||1900-01||Capt.||Read, George W.||3008|
|Dates are formatted in yyyy-mm-dd to sort correctly.|
The Cullum Number is the graduation order from the United States Military Academy by year and class rank and links to a page for the officer on the website version of the Cullum Register. Listings without a Cullum Number indicate that the person was not a graduate of the United States Military Academy.
Remnants of the fort still exist.
Location: Fort Duchesne, Uintah County, Utah.
Maps & Images
Lat: 40.2563494 Long: -109.8532007
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 788
- Wikipedia - Fort Duchesne
Fort Duchesne Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!