Fort Dodge (1)
Fort Dodge (1) History
Established to protect travelers on the Santa Fe Trail against hostile Indians. The post was built just east of Dodge City, Kansas, 9 Sep 1865, on the north bank of the Arkansas River in Ford County, Kansas. Initially constructed of sod huts and rebuilt with stone in 1867, it eventually became a four company post.
The post was abandoned 2 Oct 1882 and turned over to the Interior Department for disposition 12 Jan 1885. On 2 Mar 1889, Congress authorized transfer of the post to the Fort Dodge Solders Home and it opened 1 Jan 1890.
Currently the Fort Dodge Soldiers Home. Some original buildings remain including the commanding officers quarters, the hospital, the mortuary and two stone barracks. The 1867 building currently housing the Fort Dodge Museum and library served in several capacities over the years including a granary and commodities storage.
Visited: 11 Oct 2011