Fort Des Moines (1)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Des Moines (1) (1834-1837) - A U.S. Army post established as Camp Des Moines in 1834 by Lt. Colonel Stephen Watts Kearny, 1st U.S. Dragoons, in Lee County, Iowa. Renamed Fort Des Moines in 1835. Abandoned in 1837.
Fort Des Moines (1) History
Established 19 May 1834 as Camp Des Moines by Lt. Colonel Stephen Watts Kearny, 1st U.S. Dragoons to control and protect the Sac and Fox Indians. Abandoned 1 Jun 1837 and the buildings sold to private owners. The fort site became the town of Montrose.
Marker only in Montrose, Lee County, Iowa
Location: Montrose, Lee County, Iowa.
Maps & Images
Lat: 40.5317089 Long: -91.4154316
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 284
Fort Des Moines (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!