Fort Buffington (1837-1838) - A U.S. Army post established in 1837 in Cherokee County, Georgia, during the "Trail of Tears" Cherokee removal period by Captian Ezekiel Buffington and his company of Georgia Mounted Militia. Probably named for Captain Buffington. Abandoned in 1838.
Fort Buffington History
A stockaded U.S. Army post established in 1837 in Cherokee County, Georgia, during the "Trail of Tears" Cherokee removal period. Built and garrisoned by Mounted Georgia Milita from October 1837 to July 1838.
The remnants of the Cherokee Nation were rounded up in 1838 by Federal forces and Georgia Militia and pressed into military stockades for eventual removal to reservations in the western Indian Territory. U.S. General Winfield Scott oversaw the operation but lacked control over the militia units. Some 7,000 U.S. Soldiers and Georgia Militia forced some 15,000 Cherokee Indians into stockades and held them for removal. The condition were terrible in the stockades and on the trail to the Indian Territory and many of the Cherokees died before reaching the new reservations. As many as 4,000 Cherokees may have died in the stockades and on the 800 mile journey west. The removal process and the conditions of removal came to be known as the "Trail of Tears".
On 9 Jun 1838, 479 Cherokees were sent from Fort Buffington to Fort New Echota on the way to Ross’s Landing, Tennessee. The garrison departed and the post was abandoned in July 1838.
Private Property in Cherokee County, Georgia. Marker map point is accurate, the fort map point is approximate.
Visited: 6 May 2016