Fort Boise (2)
Fort Boise (1834-1854) - The Hudson's Bay Company (HBC) trading post originally built on the Snake River by Thomas McKay as a private venture. The fort was abandoned in 1854 due to frequent Indian attacks and a damaging flood in 1853.
Fort Boise History
Originally built as fur trading post in 1834 by Thomas McKay as a private venture with an understanding of support from the Hudson's Bay Company (HBC). It became an HBC post by 1836. The decline of the fur trade caused the post to turn to the salmon fishery as a primary income producer. When the Oregon trail opened in 1841, the post was a major stop for the wagon trains crossing the Snake River into Oregon. The hospitality of the post's managers to the Oregon Trail travelers was legendary.
Fort Boise was severely damaged in 1853 in a major flood and was just partially rebuilt. Increasing Indian hostilities made it impossible to operate the fort in that location and the post was abandoned in 1854. The U.S. Army established a second Fort Boise (1) in 1863 at what is now the City of Boise, Idaho.
The site of the old post is supposed to be under the waters of the Snake River across from the Fort Boise Wildlife Management Area. A marker is located within the WMA along the Snake River at the approximate location of the post.
A replica of Fort Boise is located in Fort Boise Park in Parma, Idaho, about five miles southeast of the original location.
Visited: 12 Oct 2009