Fort Belle Fontaine Arsenal

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Belle Fontaine Arsenal (1805-1834) - First established in 1805 by Lt. Colonel Jacob Kingsbury, 1st U.S. Infantry as a part of Cantonment Belle Fontaine and later Fort Belle Fontaine in North St. Louis County, Missouri. Abandoned in 1834.

Fort Belle Fontaine Arsenal History

Established as an arsenal for Cantonment Belle Fontaine in 1805 and moved in 1809 to higher ground on a buff above the original cantonment. Established there in 1809 as an "arsenal and magazine of well seasoned timber". In 1826 the troops were removed from Fort Belle Fontaine to Jefferson Barracks. The old arsenal continued to supply arms to the garrison until the new St. Louis Arsenal was completed in 1827. A small arsenal of deposit may have been maintained at old Fort Belle Fontaine until 1834.

Current Status

No remains.


Location: North St. Louis County, Missouri. Map point is approximate.

Maps & Images

Lat: 38.828129 Long: -90.213764

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 26 Jun 2010 area

Fort Belle Fontaine Arsenal Picture Gallery

Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox