Fort Barnwell (2)
Fort Barnwell (2) (1836-183?) - A U.S. Army post established in 1836 during the Second Seminole War in Volusia County, Florida. Abandoned in 183?. Named for the Barnwell District in South Carolina where the troops were raised. Also known as Camp Barnwell and Fort Columbia (2).
Fort Barnwell History
Established 21 Mar 1836 on the east bank of the St. Johns River near the mouth. Captain Elmore's Columbia South Carolina Volunteers erected the stockade and it was described as "...rudely constructed, built of imperfect materials, thrown up in great haste...". The fort was also in an unhealthy location and nearly everyone posted there was sick at one time or another.
The fort was attacked by Seminole Indians on 14 Apr 1836. A burial party was first attacked and two men killed and the remaining members retreated to the stockade without being able to retrieve their bodies. The post was under the command of Major William Gates (Cullum 11), 1st U.S. Artillery, who organized a defense but did not organize a sortee to recover the bodies or give pursuit to the attackers and for this he received some censure and was almost dismissed from the service. A defense of his actions was published by the members of his command and apparently was successful in preventing his dismissal.
Not known when it was abandoned.
Unknown, Volusia County, Florida