Fort Banks (3)
Fort Banks (3) (1862-1865) - A U.S. Civil War post established in 1862 by U.S. Army Captain Edward Hunt in Strasburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia. Named for Union General Nathaniel P. Banks, the local Commander. Occupied by both Union and Confederate forces. Abandoned at the end of the war in 1865. Also known as Banks's Fort.
Fort Banks (3) History
This fort was constructed by Union forces in the spring of 1862 by U.S. Army Captain Edward Hunt who chose a site overlooking the town, the railroad tracks and the Valley Turnpike. The fort was garrisoned by 15 May 1862 but General Stonewall Jackson succeeded in forcing the evacuation of the fort as he headed toward Winchester. Both Union and Confederate forces occupied the fort intermittantly after that.
Two markers, no remains, the site is partially occupied by the city water tower in Strasburg, Shenandoah County, Virginia
Visited: 12 Apr 2012