Fort Anne (1692-1780) - First established in 1692 in the present day town of Fort Ann, Washington County, New York. Abandoned in 1780.
King William's War (1689-1697)
During King William's War the British built a series of camps and fortifications at what was known as the "great carrying place", the portage from the Hudson River to Lake Champlain. The fortification built in 1692 during Governor Fitz-John Winthrop second aborted attack against Montreal became known as the Old Stone Fort.
Queen Anne's War (1702-1713)
During Queen Anne's War British General Francis Nicholson mounted an unsuccessful invasion of Canada and established a string of fortifications ending at the site of Fort Anne. The fort was initially named the Queen's Fort (1) or Fort Schuyler after Colonel Peter Schuyler but was later renamed Fort Anne after the Queen. Fort Anne, as built by General Nicholson, was a 140' square palisaded log fort with 20' square blockhouses at each corner. Two large log buildings housed the garrison.
General Nicholson's expedition fell apart when expected supplies and a supporting fleet failed to arrive, his men deserted in droves and he was forced to abandon the effort, he destroyed Fort Anne when he left. Nicholson returned in 1711 and rebuilt the fort but it was later abandoned and deteriorated.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
During the French & Indian War a new Fort Anne was constructed on the site.
Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
During the Revolutionary War the old Fort Anne served as a refuge for Patriot soldiers retreating from the siege of Fort Ticonderoga in July 1777 and as a rally point for the Battle of Fort Anne on 8 Jul 1777. The battle delayed General Burgoyne's march toward Saratoga and contributed to his defeat. Fort Anne was burned down as Burgoyne advanced but was rebuilt after his defeat. The rebuilt fort was captured and burned down again by British Major Christopher Carlton during his raids on Albany in October 1780.
On private property in the town of Fort Ann, Washington County, New York. A replica blockhouse was constructed and it how houses a bank located on US Route 4 as you enter the town of Fort Ann. The Battle of Fort Anne marker is located on a rock cliff face below Battle Hill on US Route 4 north of town.
Visited: 13 Jul 2012