Fort Albany (1)
Fort Albany (1) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1861 in Arlington County, Virginia. Named Fort Albany after the state capital of New York. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort AlbanyArlington Line.
This fort was also one of three forts built to protect the Long Bridge over the Potomac River from Virginia to Washington DC (Fort Albany, Fort Runyon and Fort Jackson). These forts were built early in the war and were the first line of defense for the Virginia end of the bridge. As the war progressed the line of defenses moved further south into Virginia and these forts became far less important and their garrisons were reduced. Fort Runyon and Fort Jackson were built on the road(s) to the bridge and Fort Albany was built later to protect the other two.
Fort Albany was constructed by New York Volunteer Troops supervised by Captain Barton S. Alexander (Cullum 1117), U.S. Corps of Engineers. The fort was built with a perimeter of 429 yards enclosing emplacements for 12 guns, magazines, embrasures and bombproofs. Armament included four 24 pounder siege guns, two 24 pounder howitzers, two 30 pounder Parrott rifles (4 vacant platforms).
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Albany, Captain Rhodes commanding.–Garrison, one company First Massachusetts Volunteers–5 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 145 men. Armament, two 24- pounder field howitzers, four 24-pounder siege, two 30-pounder Parrotts. Magazines, two; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and in good condition. Implements, complete and in good order. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, fair. Discipline, fair. Garrison of sufficient strength."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Marker only in Prospect Hill Park. Site destroyed for the construction of Shirley Highway in 1942.