Detroit Arsenal (1)
Detroit Arsenal (1) (1833-1877) - A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1833 and completed in 1837. Located in present day Dearborn (formerly Dearbornville), Wayne County, Michigan. Abandoned in 1877. Also known as Dearborn Arsenal and Dearbornville Arsenal.
Detroit Arsenal (1) History
A U.S. Army arsenal established in 1833 and completed in 1837. The arsenal was built on the Rouge River at a distance from Detroit to minimize any destruction that might result from an explosion. The eleven arsenal buildings were arranged around a 360' square and connected by an 12' high masonry wall. The buildings were all constructed of brick and included a three story main depot structure.
Abandoned and the buildings sold off in 1877.
The commandant's quarters was restored in 1959 and is now the Dearborn Historical Museum in Dearborn, Wayne County, Michigan.