Columbia Arsenal (1)
Columbia Arsenal (1) (1850-1910) - First established as a state arsenal in 1850 in Columbia, Richland County, South Carolina. Abandoned about 1910. Also Known as Palmetto Iron Works and Palmetto Armory.
Columbia Arsenal (1) History
Initially established in 1850 by William Glaze and Mr. Boatwright as Palmetto Iron Works. The State of South Carolina then contracted with the iron works to produce arms and munitions and it became known as Palmetto Armory. An additional contract to convert flint and steel muskets into percussion guns was awarded in May 1851. The arsenal was used by the Confederate Ordnance Department during the U.S. Civil War to manufacture arms and munitions. It was specifically targeted and destroyed 17 Feb 1865 when General William T. Sherman's troops burned down most of Columbia. The arsenal was rebuilt after the war and continued in operation until about 1910. Deeded to the City of Columbia in 1941.
One original building remains, it is in use as the Arsenal Hill Center, City of Columbia Parks and Recreation; 1800 Lincoln Street; Columbia, SC 29201.
Visited: 8 May 2013
Columbia Arsenal (1) Picture Gallery