Camp Warner (1)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Camp Warner (1) History
The first Camp Warner was a temporary camp built when winter closed in on the troops. Lt. Col. (bvt. Maj Gen.) George Crook, 23rd U.S. Infantry, arrived in the spring of 1867 and ordered the camp be moved west of the initial location to a lower elevation. He had a stone causeway built across Lake Hart so the wagons could reach the new location.
Only a few indentations remain where stone fireplaces may have been. Two lonely marble slabs mark the graves of Ward Cantrell, born 1846, died 1867, and Lewis Debold, born 1847, died 1866.
Location:East side of Warner Valley, Lake County, Oregon, near the site of the Order of the Antelope Blue Sky Hotel, now closed.
Maps & Images
Lat: 42.430426 Long: -119.729176
- Oregon Military History, Forts-Camps-Roads
- McArthur, Lewis A. & McArthur, Lewis L., Oregon Geographic Names, Oregon Historical Society Press; 7 edition (December 2003), 1073 pages, ISBN 0875952771, ISBN 978-0875952772, page 152-153.
Camp Warner (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!