Camp Rapid (1925-Active) - A South Dakota National Guard Camp established circa 1925 near Rapid City, Pennington County, South Dakota. Active military installation.
Established circa 1925 by Brigadier General William A Hazle.
Construction of permanent buildings on the post by the WPA began on 25 Jun 1934 and one year later the WPA began construction of the headquarters building. Architect James C. Ewing designed the brick and reinforced concrete Administration Building and was completed by the end of 1936. The original building's main floor consisted of a reception area with a vault and was surrounded by four offices, one of which was the Adjutant Generals headquarters. Other WPA projects built out the post infrastructure including kitchen-mess halls, bathhouse-latrines, tent platforms, an Officers Mess Hall, and several houses.
The post was leased to the Federal Government during World War II for use as a mobilization and training center for National Guard troops and other recruits. In July 1942 the post was taken over by the Air Corps and maintained until November 1943, when the post was returned to the National Guard, together with all its installations.
During the Cold War, Camp Rapid hosted and support National Guard activities, including annual exercises involving National Guard troops from other states conducting operations in the Black Hills. In the early 1990s, a series of building projects replaced temporary facilities with permanent structures for use as armories, barracks, and support facilities.
The security of the Camp was upgraded significantly in the early 2000s as part of nationwide security improvements following the 911 events.
Active South Dakota National Guard Headquarters.
Visited: 16 Jun 2020