Camp Long (1806-1806) - A Lewis & Clark expedition camp established in 1806 on the return trip from the Pacific coast. Located in present day East Kamiah, Lewis County, Idaho. Abandoned in 1806. Also known as Camp Chopunnish, Camp Kamiah and Long Camp.
Camp Long History
On the return journey from the Pacific coast, Lewis & Clark were forced to spend four weeks with the Nez Perce Indians waiting for the snow to melt in the Bitterroot mountains (14 May 1806-10 Jun 1806). Their camp along the Clearwater River was called Long Camp or Camp Chopunnish. The camp was abandoned on 10 Jun 1806 when Lewis & Clark resumed their return journey.
Marker only near Kamiah, Lewis County, Idaho. The marker is located on Idaho Hwy 26 near milepost 68.