Camp Drum (3)
Camp Drum (3) (1862-1873) - A U.S. Army post established in 1862 during the U.S. Civil War in Wilmington, Los Angeles County, California. Named Camp Drum for Lt. Colonel Richard C. Drum, assistant adjutant of the Department of California. Renamed Drum Barracks in 1864. Abandoned in 1873.
Camp Drum (3) History
A U.S. Army post established in January 1862 during the U.S. Civil War to insure the loyalty of southern California to the Union. Built out as an elaborate five company camp costing nearly a million dollars and having some nineteen buildings including elegant officers quarters. The post came to be known as Drum Barracks in March 1864.
The 60 acres for the post was donated to the government in 1861 by Phineas Banning and Benjamin D. Wilson for one dollar each. Banning was worried that without a strong Union presence, California would be lost to the Union.
The post was abandoned on 7 Nov 1871 and General Order No. 45, 22 Mar 1873, ordered the land returned to the original owners and the buildings sold. The buildings were sold at auction on 31 Jul 1873.
The Drum Barracks Civil War Museum is housed in the last remaining original wooden building from the camp structures. The only other remaining structure is the masonry powder magazine locate on a separate site at the NW corner of E. Opp St. and Eubank Ave. Both sites are located in Wilmington, Los Angeles County, California. The Drum Barracks Civil War Museum is open for conducted tours five days a week at specific times. Visit the web site for specific days and times.
Visited: 20 Jan 2013