Camp Austin (1839-1854) (1865-1875) - Established 24 Apr 1839 by Maj. W. Jefferson Jones of Karnes Regiment, Republic of Texas. A detached site called Austin Arsenal was built in 1840. Also known as Camp Sanders and the Post At Austin.
Camp Austin History
Camp Austin was established in 1839 as Austin was being laid out as the capitol of the Republic of Texas. In 1840 the Austin Arsenal was established in the southeast town block which had been reserved for it when the town was laid out. In 1841 the regular troops of the Republic of Texas were disbanded and Camp Austin was occupied by a number of volunteer units until Texas became a State 19 Feb 1846. The first federal troops actually arrived in 1845 and occupied Camp Austin until 1854. During the U.S. Civil War Camp Austin was in Confederate hands and was returned to Federal control at the end of the war. Camp Austin was closed in Aug 1875.
Nothing remains of any of the camps.
Visited: 9 Oct 2007
Camp Austin Picture Gallery