Battery West (1864-1896+) - Battery West was a masonry and earthworks, U.S. Civil War 10 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Mason (2), San Francisco County, California. Battery construction started in 1863, was completed in May 1864. Deactivated in 1896+.
U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.
Originally built in 1864 as a U.S. Civil War coastal gun battery with six 10" smoothbore Rodman cannons mounted on Rodman Iron carriages. The West Battery was connected to a similar Battery East that contained six rifled guns. Both batteries were earthworks fortifications backed with masonry walls and using front pintle mounts on wood platforms. Five small shell rooms were located between the guns and a single earth covered wooden magazine serviced the battery. All of guns were mounted on iron carriages. The original threat was perceived to be Confederate raiders entering San Francisco Harbor.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
In 1891 the six wooden gun platforms of Battery West were rebuilt and the six cannons are shown as mounted in the 1896 battery plan. By 1903, the cannons of Battery West are no longer listed.
Part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area (GGNRA) administered by the National Park Service. One period 10" Rodman smoothbore cannon and iron mount in place.
Visited: 22 Aug 2009