Battery Smead (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1861 in Northwest Washington DC. Named Battery Smead in G.O. 83, 1 Apr 1863, after Captain John R. Smead, (Cullum 1645), 5th U.S. Artillery, who was killed, 30 Aug 1862 at the Battle of Manassas. The battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war. Sometime spelled Smeade.
History of Battery Smead
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in 1861 as an earthworks gun battery with a perimeter of 170 yards and emplacements for four guns.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Battery Smead, Capt. N.H. Moore commanding.–Garrison, one company Seventh New York Heavy Artillery– 1 commissioned officer, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 147 men. Armament, four 20-pounder Parrotts. Magazines, one; dry and serviceable. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, ordinary; needs improving. Drill in infantry, indifferent; needs much improving. Discipline, very indifferent. Garrison is stronger than necessary."
The Battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers. Reportedly leveled in 1958 and overbuilt by athletic grounds at St. John's College High School.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 531298
Location: Location: Multiple reported locations:
(1) St. John's College High School Athletic grounds, between 27th Street and Utah Ave. NW, Washington DC.
(2) West side of street between 5420 & 5452 27th St. NW, Washington DC.
(G) GNIS Coordinates. (using)
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.96139 Long: -77.06056
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 139.