Battery O'Rorke (1905-1945) - Battery O'Rorke was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 3 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Barry, Marin County, California. The battery was named in G.O. 194, 27 Dec 1904 after Col. Patrick Henry O'Rorke, who was killed at the Battle of Gettysburg 2 July 1963 during the U.S. Civil War. Battery construction started in 1903, was completed in 1905 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 8 Jun 1905 at a cost of $ 24,462.76. Deactivated in 1945.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco. Designed to protect the main channel and the northern approach mine fields.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with four 3" M1903 rapid fire guns mounted on M1903 Barbette carriages with pedestal mounts. The Battery had a separate 9' by 15' magazines for each gun emplacement. No hoists were required even though the loading platform was one level above the magazine. Each round was complete with shell and powder in a self contained cartridge that weighed about 27 pounds and was easily carried.
The M1903 Barbette carriages and pedestal mounts were not transferred to Fort Barry until 2 Jun 1909 and the Battery was not completely armed until 1910.
In addition to the magazines there was an oil room, a guard room and BC Station on the right flank of the battery. In 1919 a Coincidence Range Finder (C.R.F.) Station was added to the left flank of the battery at a cost of $ 1,560.83, it was accepted for service 25 Apr 1919.
The Battery contained no motors, no hoists and no power plant, electric power was furnished by Battery Guthrie's plant and later by commercial power.
World War II (1941-1945)
In 1944 the war reserve and battle allowances of ammunition for the battery was:
Part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area (GGNRA) administered by the National Park Service. No gun or mounts in place.
Visited: 19 Aug 2009
Battery O'Rorke Picture Gallery