Battery Martin Scott (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Battery established in 1861 in Northwest Washington DC. Named Battery Martin Scott in G.O. 18, 30 Sep 1861. Battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Battery Martin Scott 1864 Location
History of Battery Martin Scott
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in August 1861 as a earthen gun battery on a bluff overlooking the Chain Bridge from the Washington DC side of the Potomac River. Emplacements for three guns.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Battery Martin Scott, Colonel Gibson commanding.–Garrison, 4 enlisted men. Armament, two 12-pounder mountain howitzers, two 6-pounder James (rifled). Magazines, one; serviceable. Ammunition, supply sufficient; serviceable. Garrison is insufficient."
The battery was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Trace remains, no marker.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 1680421
Location: Above Chain Bridge at 5618 Potomac Ave., Northwest Washington DC. The GNIS coordinates are provided for reference but they are clearly wrong. Zoom out to see the GNIS map point.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.93049 Long: -77.11103
- Cooling, Benjamin F. III and Owen, Valton H. II, Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, Scarecrow Press, 2009, ISBN 0810863073, ISBN 9780810863071, 334 pages.
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 137.