Battery Kirby Beach
Battery Kirby Beach (1943-1944) - Battery Kirby Beach was a temporary World War II 3 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Baker (1), Marin County, California. The battery was named after the beach below. Battery construction started 4 Aug 1942, was completed 12 Aug 1942 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 1 Jun 1943 at a cost of $ 955.78. Deactivated in 1944.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of San Francisco.
Originally built as a World War II concrete coastal gun battery with two 3" M1902MI guns mounted on M1902 Barbette pedestal mounts as a temporary Anti-Motor Torpedo Boat (AMTB) battery. The battery consisted of two octagonal concrete pads with mounting bolts for the M1902 Barbette pedestal mounts. Battery Kirby, which had been abandoned in 1941, was located just behind Battery Kirby Beach and probably provided support and storage for munitions and supplies.
The two M1902MI guns and carriages on this battery were originally installed in emplacements #5 and #6 of Battery Yates and were relocated here. They were again relocated to Battery Fort Point when the regular AMTB battery for this location, Battery AMTB - Gravelly Beach, became operational in 1944.
Part of the Golden Gate Recreation Area (GGNRA) administered by the National Park Service. No period guns or mounts in place. The #2 concrete pad is visible, #1 mounting bolts are visible visible.
Visited: 20 Aug 2009