Battery Gregg (1901-1913) - Battery Gregg was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 5 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Mott, New Jersey. The battery was named in G.O. 46, 1901, after Capt. John C. Gregg, U.S. 4th Infantry, who was killed in action near Mariquana, 31 Mar 1899. Battery construction started 20 Aug 1900, was completed in Dec 1900 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 7 Jun 1901, at a cost of $ 17,500.00. Deactivated in 1913.
Part of the Harbor Defense of the Delaware.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with two 5" M1900 guns mounted on M1903 pedestal mounts. This was a two story battery with the guns on the upper level and two magazines below. Ammunition was served from the magazines by modified Taylor-Raymond, back delivery, chain hoists with combined carriers for powder and projectiles. The hoists were accepted for service 9 Feb 1909.
The guns and carriages were removed 30 Aug 1913 and shipped to Hawaii.
In 1922 the empty #1 gun emplacement was modified for a BC post and the #1 magazine was modified as a plotting room for Battery Harker (1). Both were accepted for service on 19 Aug 1922 at a combined cost of $ 900.00.
Part of Fort Mott State Park. No period guns or mounts in place.
Recent Blog Posts:
Visited: 6 Aug 2010