Battery Gatewood (1898-1914) - Battery Gatewood was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 4.72 inch coastal gun battery on Fort Monroe, Hampton City, Virginia. The battery was named in G.O. 105, 9 Oct 1902, after 1st Lt. Charles B. Gatewood (Cullum 2663), 6th U.S. Cavalry, who commanded Indian Scouts in the field and in the expedition to Sonora, Mexico, leading to the surrender of hostile Apaches on 4 Sep 1886, and who died on 20 May 1896, at Fort Monroe, Virginia. The Battery was transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 24 Sep 1898 at a cost of $ 2,955.63. Deactivated in 1914.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Chesapeake Bay.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with four 4.72" Armstrong guns mounted on Armstrong pedestal mounts. This was a temporary battery built on the northeast parapet of the old fort next to the northeast bastion battery. One magazine was built into the interior slope in the rear of the battery.
No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 22 Jul 2010