Battery Adams (1899-1914) - Battery Jack Adams was a reinforced concrete, Endicott Period 10‑inch coastal gun battery on Fort Warren, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. The battery was named in G.O. 16, 14 Feb 1902, after Captain John G. B. Adams, 19th Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, who was seriously wounded at the battle of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and who won a medal of honor for distinguished gallantry in action, during the U.S. Civil War. Battery construction started in 1892, was completed in 1899 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use 21 Oct 1899 at a cost of $ 92,138.16. Deactivated in 1914.
Endicott Period (1890-1910)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Boston, Massachusetts.
Originally built as an Endicott Period concrete coastal gun battery with one 10" M1888 gun mounted on an M1894 Disappearing carriage. This was a single story battery with the guns located on the upper level and the magazines at the same level. Shells were moved from the magazine to the gun loading platform by shell carts. No shell or powder hoists were provided. Electrical power was furnished by the central power plant.
This battery was built using Rosendale concrete and quickly began to deteriorate. The recommendation for the abandonment of this battery was approved by the Secretary of War on 13 Jan 1914.
Part of Fort Warren State Park on George's Island, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. No period guns or mounts in place. This battery can be viewed but is not open to public access because of the deteriorated condition. Transportation to the Island is by boat. See the Fort Warren page for island access details.
Visited: 24 May 2012