Battery AMTB 951
Battery AMTB 951 (1943-1946) - Battery AMTB 951 was a reinforced concrete World War II AMTB rapid fire 90mm gun battery near Pulpit Rock, Rockingham County, New Hampshire. This battery was serviced from Fort Dearborn (4). Battery construction started in 1943, was completed in 1943 and transferred to the Coast Artillery for use in 1943. Deactivated in 1946.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
The AMTB battery at Pulpit Rock site consisted of two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M3 fixed gun mounts and two 90mm guns mounted on 90mm M1A1 mobile gun mounts. Concrete pads were provided for both fixed guns and often wooden gun platforms were provided for the mobile guns. Two earth covered concrete magazines provided protection for the ammunition. Electric power was provided by M-7 portable generators.
The battery had a dual mission of defense against fast enemy motor torpedo boats and enemy aircraft. The effective range of the guns was about 8,000 yards or 4.5 miles. Each weapon required a crew of 15, 9 men in the gun squad and 6 men in the ammunition squad.
In Pulpit Rock parking Lot. No period gun or mounts in place.
Visited: 7 Jun 2012
Battery AMTB 951 Picture Gallery