Battery 155 - Fort San Jacinto
Battery 155 - Fort San Jacinto (1942-1944) - Battery 155 - Fort San Jacinto was a temporary, World War II, 155mm coastal gun battery on Panama mounts. Located on Fort San Jacinto, Galveston County, Texas. Deactivated in 1944.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Galveston.
Originally built as a temporary World War II coastal gun battery with four 155mm M1918 rapid fire guns mounted on M1918 Mobile Carriages emplaced on 180 degree circular Panama mounts. This battery was emplace along the Galveston seawall about 1500 yards from the end. The battery was first built with wooden platforms pending the completion of the 180 degree Panama mounts.
Panama mounts destroyed and buried under dredged material from the ship channel.
Visited: 12 Nov 2009