Bailey Island Military Reservation
Bailey Island Military Reservation (1942-1946) - A World War II Coastal Military Reservation first established in 1942 on Bailey Island in Cumberland County, Maine. Abandoned in 1946.
World War II (1941-1945)
Part of the Harbor Defense of Portland, Maine.
This military reservation was established during World War II on two parcels of land, one purchased on 10 Jun 1942 and the other leased on 25 Aug 1942. This 7.37 acre site was acquired to house Battery AMTB 970, SCR 296 radar set # 6 and two, eight story, fire control stations. Post construction included a barracks, mess hall, two generator buildings and a radar operations building.
The first gun battery arrived in August 1942 in the form of two towed mobile 155mm GPF guns from Stockton Springs, Maine. These guns were deployed to Bailey Island in response to a Jun 1942 submarine sighting. Construction began on the 90mm Battery AMTB 970 in 1943 and was completed that same year. Construction began and was completed on the two observation towers in 1943
The 4.50 acre leasehold was terminated in August 1945 and the remainder of the property was reported surplus by the GSA in April 1950. Battery AMTB 970 was on the leasehold property so it would have been deactivated by the time the lease was terminated in August 1945.
Private property on Bailey Island, Cumberland County, Maine.